Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lineage of Grace

Today we concluded our five week Bible Study, Lineage of Grace by Francine Rivers. This study impacted me more than many and for what reason, I'm still not sure. It could be that in each story, although very familiar to me, a different lesson gripped my heart. In Tarmar, I learned that we can overcome our circumstances. In Rahab, I learned that the faith of my parents is not enough. I need my own, God given faith that I must seek and find alone. In Ruth, I learned about loving others and putting their needs before my own. In Bathsheeba, I learned about God's redeeming Grace. No matter what my downfalls may be, God is always there to pick me up and forgive me as long as I come to Him with a humble heart.

But out of all the stories, Mary's story touched my heart the most. We've all heard the story of Jesus but to hear it from Mary's point of view was so overwhelming. I thought about what it would be like to mother the Son of God. To know that the child you bore would one day save the world! What a feeling! We all are blessed by the children God gives us and they have so many great purposes to fulfill, but none as great as the one Jesus was sent to complete. I was reminded of a very important lesson through the story of Mary as well. The children that God gives us are not ours. God entrusted Jesus to Mary and Joseph, just as He entrusts us with our special gifts, to grow and nurture until the day He would fulfill His calling. As Grace and Matthew's mother, I find myself worrying about their spiritul lives and the huge task set before me to lead them on the right path. Rather than worry, I have been called to spend my days loving them, teaching them the ways of Christ and modeling a godly life. After that, I must let go and let God. I pray everyday for them but just as Mary could not worry about her precious Son, I too must put my faith in the One who gave me my preicous babies. They belong to Him and if I am faithful to do my part, He will be faithful to do His.

1 comment:

  1. We have read those individual books in our Ladies Book Club and they are powerful. I haven't finished Mary and I started in December. Pathetic, I know! Maybe this is what I needed to get going again. :) Lana

    ReplyDelete